Sanderson_Exterior_Signage_DSC3623_jpg-300x288

August 13, 2016: CHESTER COUNTY OLD FIDDLERS’ PICNIC (88TH), Hibernia Park, 10a – 4p.

Old Fiddlers' Picnic
(Photo by Tom Kelly IV – Daily Local News)

Come visit the Sanderson Museum’s booth at the Old Fiddlers’ Picnic,  an annual event where hundreds of musicians and music lovers gather to celebrate traditional music and memories on stage and in the woodlands of Fiddlers’ Field.

Lots of activities for the kids, tours of Hibernia Mansion, plus food and craft vendors.

Sample: What it’s all about.

No admission fee. Parking is $5 per car. Gates open at 8:30 a.m.

Jam Session in the woods
Jam Session in the woods

The Old Fiddler’s Picnic, originally known as the “Chester and Delaware Counties’ Old Fiddlers,” began in 1928 at Crystal Springs Park, near Parkersburg, Pa. It was the idea of Dr. S.L. Anderson and coordinated annually by Chris Sanderson. Newspaper accounts of the first picnic listed visitors from as far away as California and Texas. Around 1940, the Picnic moved to Lenape Park, south of West Chester, the location for which the event became very well known. When Lenape Park closed in 1980, the Picnic moved to Hibernia County Park, Chester County, Pa.

Rain date: Sunday, August 14.

Hibernia Park is on Park Road in Coatesville and can be contacted at 610-383-3812.